Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_6_] Leon[_6_] is offline

Default Some people are really just plain stupid

"Puckdropper" puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in message
snip

Yeah, think about what your are saying here. Unless your glove is
made out of a substance that will not cut a glove is not going to be
pulled into a spinning blade. Wood being harder to cut than a cloth
material or leather does not get pulled into the spinning blade, a
glove will not either.

I had some sort of string in mind while typing the post, just added glove
as a source of the string. Chances are excellent that the glove or
string would be simply cut or snapped, but having both mechanisms ensures
safety if the unusual happens.

This was discussed several years ago and I decided to do the
experiment and sacrifice a leather/canvas glove. I pushed both the
leather and cloth sections of the glove into the spinning blade. The
blade simply cut the glove, actually left a kerf but did not in any
way pull or change the direction of the glove.

I remember that post. The glove pulled in to saw thing might be a
specific pair of gloves (like chain saw) under specific sawing
conditions. IOW, impossible to disprove.

LOL, well just so happens that I have been cut with a chainsaw also,,,,
through the same type pair of gloves. Still have the scar on the top of my
finger. About 30 years ago a freind and I were out in the woods cutting up
fire wood. Just finished cutting a log that I had been holding up for him
to cut, the saw was idling and I dropped the log and swung my hand up. My
finger grazed the end of the bar. I felt it and looked down at the glove
and saw a gash. Pulling the glove off indicated a cut in my finger about 1
inch long

That said I still would not recommend using a glove around any shop
machinery. The glove could be pulled into a drill bit on a drill
press or pulled in to the work on a lathe to name a few. Around a TS
the loose parts could touch the blade and if you were not expecting
that to happen you may be startled and react with a movement towards
the blade.

I agree with that, definately. A glove usually reduces the "feel" of
something, so you don't get as early of warning that something's going
bad.

Exactly!

It'd be difficult data to collect, but I'm still wondering if the
disappearing blade would be effective enough to prevent most injuries.
Rather than damaging blade and having a one-time-use-only cartridge,
maybe a reloadable charge could be set and the cartridge reused.

From experience I can tell you that replacing a premium quality blade and
cartridge is not a financial burden at all. Because there are few to no
false triggers except for a few isolated cases you can rest assured that if
the trigger is set off you have actually saved yourself thousands of dollars
and a lot if pain. Been there done that. When I first heard about this saw
about 10 years ago I was quick to inquire as to whether the saw would
trigger if the blade was still spinning after the saw was turned off. It
indeed does.
IMHO paying a couple hundred dollars to replace a cartridge and blade may
give you a bit more incentive to review what happened. If there is not some
kind of penalty you may become more careless on some one elses saw and pay
the bigger price.