Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Some people are really just plain stupid

(Doug Miller) wrote in
:

In article , Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:
It'd be difficult data to collect, but I'm still wondering if the
disappearing blade would be effective enough to prevent most injuries.
Rather than damaging blade and having a one-time-use-only cartridge,
maybe a reloadable charge could be set and the cartridge reused.

Dunno how well that would work in practice. SawStop uses the energy
contained in the spinning blade (angular momentum) to provide the
force that drops it below the table. I have to think that any
mechanism that simply drops the blade, while allowing it to continue
to spin, isn't going to react anywhere nearly as quickly as SawStop's
-- maybe not quickly enough to do any good.

Not saying it won't/can't work... just saying, mark me down as
skeptical.

This sounds like a job for an engineer! Just how fast does gun powder
react any way? The mechanism would detect the impact, the firing pin
would release (it arms when the saw is turned on), and pow the blade is
dropped in to the cartridge.

Naturally, the forces involved would be extreme. Probably about as much
as the saw stop generates now, but with the added requirement that the
cartridge must be reusable and blade safe.

Puckdropper