Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Some people are really just plain stupid

In article , Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:
It'd be difficult data to collect, but I'm still wondering if the
disappearing blade would be effective enough to prevent most injuries.
Rather than damaging blade and having a one-time-use-only cartridge,
maybe a reloadable charge could be set and the cartridge reused.

Dunno how well that would work in practice. SawStop uses the energy contained
in the spinning blade (angular momentum) to provide the force that drops it
below the table. I have to think that any mechanism that simply drops the
blade, while allowing it to continue to spin, isn't going to react anywhere
nearly as quickly as SawStop's -- maybe not quickly enough to do any good.

Not saying it won't/can't work... just saying, mark me down as skeptical.