Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_2_] Wes[_2_] is offline

Default ROV in a bucket

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

Maybe someone who has played with underwater robots knows about these
things. Any RCMer should be able to make one in an afternoon. If you do,
please let us know how it works out. It looks like a great toy:

That is a neat link.

Isn't it? Those are your tax dollars at work. g The link I provided is
part of the NOAA project to restore the iron warship Monitor:

http://monitor.noaa.gov/publications/welcome.html

Somehow I didn't mind seeing those bucks getting spent on this one.

There's a good description of the chemistry of steel corrosion in a marine
environment, too, along with some discussion about how they removed the
corrosion for the restoration project. (It's the "Iron Cheesbox" link.) It
will be familiar to some RCMers, but electrolytic rust removal that takes
over 200 days in the tank may be a surprise for some (I've heard of ancient
marine artifacts requiring up to 3 years in the tank)

Wow, that is a long time but I was more impressed by underwater flush toilets. How is it
that that bit of technology never hit the text books?

Uncle has done the electrolyic derusting thing with a few items he dragged home. I was
pretty impressed with the results on a post drill.

I wonder how much of the technology of the day used in making that ship has been lost over
the years?

The under water camera reminded me of a day when the terminal for
our AB 8400B controlled water jet lost the crt. The only place I could
find something to
use in a pinch was at Sam's club. Monitor came with a BW security camera.

Anyway, once I managed to get the terminal repaired, the security monitor
was 'borrowed'
by a couple guys in our die repair (steel rule dies) shop. They made a
waterproof
enclosure with lighting to see what was down hole while icefishing. I
don't think it
worked out all that great but they didn't kill the camera.

A fish finder was the first thing I thought of. I could chase those big
trout in a nearby reservoir...

Will your ROV have a ROS (Remote Operated Spear )

Wes