Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Doug White Doug White is offline

Default Tapping Head ???

Garlicdude wrote in
:

Doug White wrote:
Garlicdude wrote in
t:

Wes wrote:
steamer wrote:

--They totally rock. I recommend Tapmatic; we've got several
and we
beat 'em to death: very reliable. I run mostly plug taps but I've
used bottom taps too; just be careful setting depth in a blind
hole. Use the right lubricant for the tap and slop it on often;
i.e. every other hole or so.

Ditto's on the tapmatic. We use them hard also. Anyone have a
clue where I can get a snail (retract spring) for a Burgmaster 1D?

Wes
--

I prefer Procunier over Tapmatic:

http://tinyurl.com/ydl7ubj

Much better feel than a Tapmatic

That may be, but they are larger (an issue with my small mill), and
they don't have a model that can do small taps (2-56 or 4-40) and
still go up to 1/4-20 in mild steel.

For my needs, Tapmatic still looks like the best fit.

Doug White

Doug, Here is a pdf of the smaller Procunier tapping heads:

http://www.rockford-ettco.com/Portal...Pg%2029%29.pdf

I've tapped lots of 1/4-20 holes in 1018 with the 11000 head.

I had Tapmatic for several years and they were always a hassle
especially in blind holes. I switched to Procunier and haven't had
any of the problems that I did with the Tapmatics.

That's good to know. One concern I still have is the size of them. They
are about 3/4" taller than the Tapmatic. My mill doesn't have a lot of
vertical capacity. I suppose if I had a lot of tapping to do on
something big, I could flip my Shopsmith vertical & use it as a drill
press. The other issue is the shank. I had figured on getting a
Tapmatic w/ a JT6 mount, because I can get #2 MT shanks threaded
internally for my drawbar. The MT shanks on the Procuniers all have
tangs, although a straight 1/2" shank would give me the option of running
on the Shopsmith.

More stuff to ponder...

Thanks!

Doug White