Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Garlicdude Garlicdude is offline

Default Tapping Head ???

Doug White wrote:
Garlicdude wrote in
t:

Wes wrote:
steamer wrote:

--They totally rock. I recommend Tapmatic; we've got several
and we
beat 'em to death: very reliable. I run mostly plug taps but I've
used bottom taps too; just be careful setting depth in a blind hole.
Use the right lubricant for the tap and slop it on often; i.e. every
other hole or so.

Ditto's on the tapmatic. We use them hard also. Anyone have a clue
where I can get a snail (retract spring) for a Burgmaster 1D?

Wes
--

I prefer Procunier over Tapmatic:

http://tinyurl.com/ydl7ubj

Much better feel than a Tapmatic

That may be, but they are larger (an issue with my small mill), and they
don't have a model that can do small taps (2-56 or 4-40) and still go up
to 1/4-20 in mild steel.

For my needs, Tapmatic still looks like the best fit.

Doug White

Doug, Here is a pdf of the smaller Procunier tapping heads:

http://www.rockford-ettco.com/Portal...Pg%2029%29.pdf

I've tapped lots of 1/4-20 holes in 1018 with the 11000 head.

I had Tapmatic for several years and they were always a hassle especially in
blind holes. I switched to Procunier and haven't had any of the problems that I
did with the Tapmatics.

Best,
Steve

--