Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_6_] Leon[_6_] is offline

Default Some people are really just plain stupid

"Puckdropper" puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in message

Well, that's why I asked about that a few days ago. Imagine, if you
will, though the unlikely event of getting a glove or some string caught
in the blade. If your hand gets pulled in to the blade because of that,
stopping the blade is the only way to keep someone safer. (If the blade
disappears, your hand is going to slam on the cast iron top. If you get
cut and then stuck, you could conceivably die. A regular saw might do
the same thing, though.)

Yeah, think about what your are saying here. Unless your glove is made out
of a substance that will not cut a glove is not going to be pulled into a
spinning blade. Wood being harder to cut than a cloth material or leather
does not get pulled into the spinning blade, a glove will not either.

This was discussed several years ago and I decided to do the experiment and
sacrifice a leather/canvas glove. I pushed both the leather and cloth
sections of the glove into the spinning blade. The blade simply cut the
glove, actually left a kerf but did not in any way pull or change the
direction of the glove.

That said I still would not recommend using a glove around any shop
machinery. The glove could be pulled into a drill bit on a drill press or
pulled in to the work on a lathe to name a few. Around a TS the loose parts
could touch the blade and if you were not expecting that to happen you may
be startled and react with a movement towards the blade.