Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Samuel M. Goldwasser[_2_] Samuel M. Goldwasser[_2_] is offline

Default Light printing on LJ5

"hr(bob) " writes:

On Jan 9, 10:33*am, (Samuel M. Goldwasser) wrote:
This printer has served me well for several years since inheriting it
from a friend. *It has always been rather light even on maximum dark
settings but is now getting to the point where I'm thinking of actually
buying (gasp!) a new printer.

The symptoms are that thin lines print very light while large areas
are solid black.

The toner cartridge and been replaced with no change.

It's not used very much, mainly for mailing labels and is clean inside.

It seems to me that there use to be settings for darkness in the LJ5 driver
but since upgrading (!!) to XP, they don't appear anymore. *That improved
it a bit, though never as dark as it should be. *But might be enough.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks!

--

Can you switch to a different type font to keep on using the printer
for a few more months until the toner cartridge finally gives out?

In some cases that would work but for graphics and stuff like UPS/USPS
on-line mailing, there is no choice as far as I know.

Thanks for looking!

--
sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:
http://www.repairfaq.org/