Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Heuristic learning

N_Cook wrote in message
No-one ever told me to be wary if test speaker voice-coil continuity with

DVM.
Speaker o/c in the amp cab, but after process of removing showed proper
ohmage. Exposed pigtails looked ok and tested ok, so heated up and removed
the dome. Made wire-taps to both voice-coil lead outs and tested each
pigtail in turn.
Both had the same break at about the same point of slowly manually pushing
the cone in and out, so assumed I was deflecting the cone slightly. Very
unlikely the same paint-covered failure at the joins of pigtails to wires

,
or anywhere else, so what was I doing wrong?

Answers here please

No breaks in the internal wiring.
With using DVM and pushing the cone, generated enough voltage to fool the
continuity mode into not bleeping. Intermittant fault was actually at the
outside tag terminal inside the solder, pigtail corrosion/fatigue but held
in place and disquised by the overlaying lacquer.