Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey Morris Dovey is offline

Default Hold my beer - I'm gonna try try something...

On 1/10/2010 6:45 AM, Old Guy wrote:

When I finally figured out what you wanted to do, my thoughts ran to
residential windows. The Pella folks (also Iowegians) make windows
with wood cores protected by aluminum overlays. I think the aluminum
is brake/roller formed and the wood inserted. They might have some
methods that work, or could at least move you further down the path.

Yuppers - I have one of their windows directly behind my display, and
I've looked at their stuff (and talked with a few of their people). I
like their products, but I'm trying to go beyond everything they seem to
have done.

Seems to me if you had an L or U shaped piece of anodized aluminum
sheet that would cover the front and sides of the box, and lap over
the back slightly, you would no longer be at the mercy of glue holding
it in place. You would only have joints at the corners then. If you
needed fastners they could be installed at the back and the front
under the panel. You should be able to get a neutral color that could
be painted to renew. Moisture that got in could get out through the
corners. Or be baked out when the sun hit it.

I'd like to avoid the need to form sheet stock - my sense is that the
job can be done with foil, although 0.002" may be a bit on the light side.

Anderson does the same thing with a preformed plastic, which seems to
hold up. I know they make plywood with that plastic laminated to it,
but you would still have edges to contend with. It is also spendy...I
bought a piece of trim for a window installation for $20 per sf!!!

Ouch! I need to avoid spendy - and although plastics can look good, I'm
just not confident that they'll hold up well.

I've seen what ocean air and salt spray does to steel, wood and
aluminum, and it isn't pretty. I understand that seaside cottages
have to be repained every couple of years to keep deterioration at
bay. By my observation, galvanized seem to hold up best, it developed
a layer of rust and then quit. Other stuff just kept pitting.

You've set a high bar for yourself.

I have, but I keep telling myself that if I keep my aim high enough, I'm
less likely to shoot myself in the foot. Actually, I'm just trying to
find a really decent starting point - from which I can make improvements
as I find 'em. At the moment, stainless steel or silicon bronze "paint"
looks like it might make a good starting point.

Can't see my shop for the snow!!!

I have the same problem. This is how I "wait" for spring thaw.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar