Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey Morris Dovey is offline

Default Hold my beer - I'm gonna try try something...

On 1/9/2010 10:28 PM, Mark & Juanita wrote:

Haven't done anything exactly like this, but I'd be concerned that 2 mil
steel covering is going to be susceptible to all sorts of damage from
handling and pre-installation problems. That would leave a channel for
water infiltration that could result in worse long-term damage than exposed
but painted wood. 2 mils is really more tin foil than covering.

That's been a concern for me from the very beginning - and I'm sure that
by now there're truckers who make jokes over coffee about this
over-protective so-and-so in Iowa. To their credit (and my
amazement/admiration) panels have been arriving at destination without
even minor dings or scratches.

I've found sources of stainless foil that offer thicknesses up to 3mm
(which isn't really "foil" to me), so the skin can be made thicker if
that turns out to be necessary, but it really isn't my goal to add any
mechanical toughness - just to improve long-term weather resistance.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar