Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Doug White Doug White is offline

Default Tapping Head ???

Wes wrote in
:

steamer wrote:

--They totally rock. I recommend Tapmatic; we've got several and
we
beat 'em to death: very reliable. I run mostly plug taps but I've used
bottom taps too; just be careful setting depth in a blind hole. Use
the right lubricant for the tap and slop it on often; i.e. every other
hole or so.

Ditto's on the tapmatic. We use them hard also. Anyone have a clue
where I can get a snail (retract spring) for a Burgmaster 1D?

For a home shop with a smallish mill (Clausing 8520), could someone in
the know help recommend a specific Tapmatic model?. I've been thinking
about getting one for a while, but I'm unclear on the practical
differences between the Rx, TC/DC & X models. I'd be looking at a size
30, and all models seem to be about the same length. The TC/DC has an
"adjustable self-feed", which the others don't, but I have no idea what
that means. The TC/DC also has "adjustable depth control for blind
holes", which sounds useful.

Should I be looking for a TC/DC, or are the others just as good? I'm
looking for maximum flexibility & idiot-proofness.

Thanks!

Doug White