Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Dingley Andy Dingley is offline

Default be careful in the shop; another wake up call.

On 9 Jan, 20:43, Zz Yzx wrote:
I wear safety glasses ALL the time in the shop.

I wear glasses anyway, and the lenses are small, but of a fairly tough
polycarbonate. In the workshop (mostly to be honest, to protect my
glasses!) I switch to a pair of big ugly aviator frames with side
shields. For risky stuff I wear a faceshield too (I never wear
goggles).

The amount of crap I've found embedded in the lenses of my glasses
over the years! Weld spatter, angle grinder spatter... If it wasn't
for my glasses, I just know I'd have damaged my eyes by now. I wear my
glasses because otherwise I'd never find the door, but if you don't,
put your safeties on whenever you're near the stuff, not just when
you're planning something perilous.

My Dad had a haulage business, which for many years meant scrap metal,
particularly metal swarf from a local factory. He was a regular down
at the local eye hospital to get things cleaned out (often the huge
electromagnet, which as a kid I thought was pretty cool). That was
just from shovelling the stuff around, not firing it with any speed.
It's not the one you're expecting that gets you, it's the trivial
little thing that's too minor to worry about.

Good luck to your mate and his cornea.