Posted to rec.woodworking
Zz Yzx Zz Yzx is offline

Default be careful in the shop; another wake up call.

emergency eye surgery because he just put a nail into his cornea.

snip

I suffered a "massive corneal abrasion" once (not from woodwork). It
hurt like hell for days. Then it got worse:

At night while I slept, the scar tissue growing on the cornea would
literally grow into the back side of my eyelid, so that when I woke
up and opened my eye, it would tear off again. And it hurt like hell
again. It went on for weeks, with diminishing effects. I learned to
wake up without opening my eyes, and rub the wound gently before
opening my eyet. That and petroleum jelly salve a few times a day.
The opthamologist said it happens in about 5% of corneal injuries.

The GOOD NEWS: My cornea healed perfectly. That's usually the case
for abrasions.

And, after taking numerous loss and injury prevention classes and
training sessions at work, I wear safety glasses ALL the time in the
shop. I'm clumsy by nature.

-Zz