Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Shelf Pin Holes

GarageWoodworks wrote:
I'm gonna brave the cold shop today. I might get to the shelf pin
holes sometime this weekend on a project im working on.

Looking for any tips/tricks for making consistent shelf pin holes down
a post. I have seen Nahmie use a jig before that he uses to line up
the holes with a shelf pin as he moves down the post.

Got a favorite method?

Also, 1/4" dowels should do the trick in each corner right? This case
is going to be loaded down pretty good I hear.

I prefer steel KV clips.

As far as the holes go, I use a plunge router with a 1/4" bit and a 3/8
bushing. Years ago I carefully laid out a hole spacing pattern and drilled
3/8" holes with a drill press in a piece of 1/2" mel board. That board has
overlaps on the edge to register it the desired distance on whatever I am
making holes in. I've used it for 1000s of holes.

I prefer a router to a drill because the holes wind up perpendicular without
any effort. It is also fast...turn on router, release plunge clamp, stick
in hole, push down, lift up, move to next hole.

I used 1/2" mel board to keep router bit length to a mimimum. Over the
years, the holes have become a bit edge rounded from the bushing insertions
but that doesn't matter as the interior of the hole is fine.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...