Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Some people are really just plain stupid

On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 18:06:05 -0800, Zootal wrote:

My only concern is that this is very new and works - in theory. It works
in limited tests. It works great with hot dogs. Unfortunately, it's
difficult and extremely dangerous to conduct extensive testing on
something like this. There are bound to be (catastrophic) failures and a
lot of (expensive) false triggers. I'm curious to see how well this
works after a few years in the real world.

As I mentioned here before, I worked part-time at Woodcraft for 3 years
and occasionally still do. We've sold a lot of SawStops. A student
inadvertently tested it in one of our classes - only needed a bandaid.
Several customers have also "tested" it.

A large local cabinet shop has over 20 of the saws. According to their
maintenance supervisor, he installs a new cartridge about every month.
Running a saw 8 hours a day gets boring, attention wanders, ...

So I'd contend it has been working quite well for a few years. I know we
sold some 3 years ago, but I'm not sure about 4. And the store hasn't
been open 5 years.

PS: And for those of you who remember my report about my bloody finger,
no I don't have a SawStop - not on a retirees budget. BTW, the finger is
almost healed but still tender.