Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Some people are really just plain stupid

In article , GarageWoodworks wrote:

If that's the speed that most TS accidents occur than we should give
sawstop grief for pushing that hotdog so slow into the blade in their
demos.

The feed rate in the hot dog demo video looks pretty realistic to me.

Just one man's opinion.

I would like to see the effect of the hotdog being pushed
"several feet/sec" into the blade.
Do you think it would still only make a small nick in the dog?

Do the math. According to SawStop, the brake fires in less than 1
millisecond, and the blade comes to a complete stop in 5 milliseconds.

If you're feeding your hand into the blade at, say, 2 feet/sec -- which is a
damn fast feed rate -- in 5ms, it moves all of one eighth of an inch before
the blade comes to a complete stop. That's a lot more than a nick, obviously,
but it's nowhere near an amputation, either.

And that assumes that your hand is in continuous contact with the blade the
entire time -- which it won't be.

Watching the slow-motion video on their site showing Steve Gass's finger
touching the blade, it's obvious that the blade drops out of contact with the
finger long before it stops spinning. The blade begins to drop after
apparently only two or three teeth's worth of rotation. At 5000 rpm (as noted
in one video), with a 40-tooth blade, three teeth of rotation is less than
*one* millisecond. And in that length of time, moving your hand into the blade
at 2 fps, you move only 0.02". That *is* just a nick.