Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Like Craftsman

On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 11:43:03 -0600, the infamous Swingman
scrawled the following:

On 1/8/2010 11:12 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Agreed. I also dislike the facial dovies. If drawers are dovied, they
should be half so the facial wood is intact. It looks broken up and
cheapened with full dovies on the front, IMNSHO.

But, but ... that's pretty much "considered" by many to a trademark of
Greene & Greene, albeit rounded ... you heretic, you!

NO! Take it back, heathen!

I just thumbed through _Greene & Greene Masterworks_ and saw only one
example of exposed dovies. It was the timberframe work in the Gamble
House.

IMHO, the Thorson sideboard is their finest work of furniture and it's
entirely free of visual dovies. Uncles Chuck and Henry are my heroes.
They wouldn't do exposed dovies like that. That's reserved for sailor
boxes and such. I think they used them more as a physical style than
a visual one.

--
We rightly care about the environment. But our neurotic obsession
with carbon betrays an inability to distinguish between pollution