Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob La Londe Bob La Londe is offline

Default Tapping Head ???

I have been looking at some of the auto reversing tapping heads and I've
viewed some of the videos on you tube. This is an impressive looking piece
of equipment. Kind of like the line take up guide on a bait casting reel.

Does it work the way it looks? You just lower down to a certain level and
it punches down to its max reach and then automatically reverse and
retracts.

Do you need a special tap for these? Do generic square drive taps work with
these? Is it like a mill spindle where you need a bunch of different size
collets and a closer?