Posted to uk.d-i-y
Edgar Iredale[_2_] Edgar Iredale[_2_] is offline

Default roof condensation

Tim W wrote:

Jethro
wibbled on Friday 08 January 2010 22:56

The bathroom ceiling is well sealed .. however the hatch is not, and I
suspect this is where the vapour is rising through.

So what's the best way to seal a loft hatch ? And is it best to always
assume there will be *some* moisture in a loft, and not store
cardboard or paper goods, unless sealed with plastic ? Because (you
guessed it) most of our stuff in the loft is in cardboard boxes (with
lids ... when an old employer moved offices they over-bought on proper
document archive boxes by 20 ... they are really sturdy and easily
collapsed for storing flat)

Bit of rubber D profile draught strip (fiver from B&Q) might do it if the
hatch mates evenly with the frame all the way around.

I use sticky tape as the hatch isn't a very good fit. I hardly ever go into
the loft - it's not used for storage.

If the loft is used for storage bear in mind that every time you open the
hatch lots of warm moist air from the house rushes into the loft and
condenses as it cools.

Edgar