Posted to alt.home.repair
E Z Peaces E Z Peaces is offline

Default Please help solve this 12V electrical circuit puzzle

Dave wrote:
On 1/8/2010 3:01 PM terry wrote:
Oh by the way my assumption is that ALL the lights in top diagram are
incandescent? True?

Are all the 'lights' in bottom diagram LEDs?????????????????????

Yes, but I have already received confirmation that I solved the puzzle.
I had to run it out to something like 20 decimal places to get it
exactly right but I got close enough with what I had that I got my
doggie treat anyway.

I first calculated the voltage and current of the incandescents by
assuming the figures were watts. Resistance seems inappropriate to
describe them because it depends on circuit conditions. It seems even
more inappropriate for LEDs.

Because of that, calculating a series circuit on the basis of ohms would
yield unreliable answers. After wiring and energizing the circuit, one
might measure current and voltage to see how many watts or milliwatts
each element was dissipating. Then perhaps for fun, one might "reverse
engineer", calculating voltage, current, and resistance from watts.