Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Dave is offline

Default TOT about driving conditions the week

Steve Firth wrote:
Dave wrote:

No, it's taking him forever because it's been closed between Southampton
and Fareham for most of the evening. Not the snow per se, just divots
driving too fast and not leaving enough braking distance.

It's not like you to call them divots. Are you well and OK there?

Yeah, I'm fine thanks Dave. I had a long trip home yesterday. Close to
four hours to go 15 miles. The problem was the divots. The A32 rises and
falls as it crosses the Downs and people driving too fast and too close
had numerous smashes leading the roads being completely closed. I sat
for a time in a queue until I worked out that something was badly wrong
then I turned around and took to the lanes running parallel to the main
road. These are even steeper than the 'A' road and drivers had tried
using the routes in cars that couldn't make it up the hills.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the A32. I tried to find it with Autoroute
but failed. I could be too tired after the long drive yesterday.

I ended up taking numerous diversions including green lanes to get
around the areas where drivers had simply walked away from their cars
leaving them blockign the road. Incredible selfishness IMO.

It doesn't happen in just backwaters. I had to go in town to do some
shopping and the A6 had parked cars on the left and the right. Only one
car could get through at a time in either direction.

I offered to tow a couple of people out of their self-imposed misery but
the first one refused any help

Stupid *******s

and the second didn't know how to attach
the towing eye to their car.

Even more of a stupid *******.

I ended up pushing it up hill with the aid
of a couple of farmers. Our motive wasn't entirely altruistic, we wanted
to get past. Even then the driver was thoughtless as she turned the rear
windscreen wiper on and showered us with snow, and she was unable to
grasp the concept of starting in second gear and being gentle with the
clutch so it wasn't going anywhere fast. In the end we pushed it into a
passing place and suggested she walk home since she said she lived just
800 yards away.

Reminds me of the first time I have been stuck in snow. Yesterday, I got
stuck in about 6 inches of snow. It was my own fault, as I didn't make
the the run forward and back up to run into it when I set off. Took
about 2 mins to get out with the help of our daughter who was asking if
I was using the gas pedal on a diesel. :-(

So that is what I might have to put up with tomorrow then.

Be careful early morning since the temperature is now dropping at 0.5C
per hour and there's still a lot of snow on the roads.

Car told me that the lowest temp was around Birmingham of minus 7.

Dave