Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need help in identifying a faucet knob for this faucet stem (orvice versa)

On Jan 8, 9:40*am, William Brammer wrote:
Can you help me find the right stem (or knob) for this 20-year old Symmons
Temptrol shower faucet?

My Symmons Model=CA faucet stem broach splines are the wrong size!

Details:
* The shower faucet has a circular brass plate stamped "Symmons" "Model CA"
* Naturally I assumed it's a Symmons faucet so I called them for parts
* Symmons kindly sent beautifully machined parts; (almost) all fit nicely:
- The TA-10 Temptrol "spindle assembly" is a gorgeous work of art
- The TA-25B "black diverter spindle kit" was a 100% perfect replacement
- The TA-4 Temptrol "hot and cold seat kit" was likewise elegantly machined
- The TA-35A "cold seat removal tool" fit the larger cold seat perfectly
- The TA-35B "hot seat removal tool" likewise nicely fit the smaller seat
- Even the installation diagram & instructions were perfectly aligned with
what I have in my 20-year old shower faucethttp://common.csnstores.com/common/marketing/symmons/sym1010b.pdf

The only problem is the faucet stem broach splines are the wrong size:
* The Symmons spline is circular, 12 point, ~0.415 inches in diameter
* My brass spline is circular, 16 point, ~0.360 inches in diameter

Have you run into this problem before?
How do you solve it?

Did you try calling them up again and describing the new problem? Or
taking what you have to a local plumbing supply house?