Posted to alt.home.repair
blueman blueman is offline

Default Can Edison circuite (12-3) be continued as separate 12-2 regular circuits?

"RBM" writes:
"blueman" wrote in message
I have an Edison circuit with 12/3 wiring feeding a duplex outlet with
one circuit and associated outlet dedicated to a basement freezer. The
other outlet of the duplex pair is on the other leg and used for general
purpose.

Can I continue the wiring from that one leg to feed other outlets
downstream using 12/2 wiring (dropping the conductor for the dedicated
freezer outlet) or do I need to continue to feed the 12/3
wiring everywhere?

Note the outlet box with the split Edison duplex is labelled as such.

Absolutely! The one thing that you must do with an Edison circuit, is
pigtail the neutrals, as the Nec doesn't allow their integrity to be
dependent upon a device. Once you break them into two 2 wire circuits, you
just wire them as you would any 2 wire circuit.

Am I right to interpret that you only need to pigtail the neutrals while
it's still an Edison circuit (i.e., while both phases enter a box on 3
conductor cable and feed different devices in the same boxe). But that
once I am beyond the shared box and onto a regular 2-conductor circuit then I
don't need to pigtail neurtrals any more but can daisy chain through
devices again?

Or does every junction on the circuit need to have the neutrals
pigtailed rather than daisy-chained?

Also, while you are at it, are there any other code 'gotchas' that I
should be aware of with Edison circuits?

Thanks