Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe AutoDrill[_2_] Joe AutoDrill[_2_] is offline

Default OT - Let's Hear it for Global Warming!!

In any case, Galileo was tried mainly because he went out of his way to
****
off the Church--he may not have intended to but he managed it
anyway--today
he'd have fit in just fine in the community of annoying netloons who even
if
they are right get ignored because the alienate everybody who comes in
contact with them. If he'd listened to advice and followed the rules, one
of which is that if you want to say something contrary to doctrine you
present it as an idea to be discussed, not as an absolute truth, and let
the
heirarchy beat on it at their leisure, then he'd have been in no trouble
at
all, but he didn't do that. It didn't help that when he finally did add a
disclaimer to that effect he did it in a manner which could be regarded as
sarcastic stab at the Pope, and that's exactly how the Pope interpreted
it.

One of the best writings I've ever read about Galileo and his issues with
the church was written by Former Regan area dude, Dinesh D'Souza in a book
called, "What's So Great About Christianity."

As someone who vomits internally (???) at the thought of Christian practices
that have done so much damage to the "essence" of Christianity, this was one
of the best books I have ever read. Too deep in many places for me, but a
keeper for sure.

I've given a copy to a half dozen people or so and except for one, they have
all done the same. Very impressive writing whether you are looking for real
answers or looking to see why Christianity is doomed if it goes the way of
the Bible Belt, etc.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022