Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

Default Wireless networking - any experts out there ?

On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 08:59:41 -0000, "dennis@home"
wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
.. .

Cat5e is a darned sight cheaper.

Not if you have to pay for installation it isn't.

DIY

nor is it cheaper if you have to redecorate after putting it in.

A 10mm hole in the ceiling?

Wireless routers cost the same or less than wired ones and are usually free.

So I can pop into PC World and demand a free wireless router, yes?

laptops come with wireless these days so it is free.

I don't have a laptop.

desktops cost about £8 to make wireless.

That's eight cheeseburgers!

wireless isn't a trip hazard.

Neither is properly routed cable.

wireless doesn't export potentials outside the building if you have your
server in the shed.

I don't. I don't even have a shed.

most people don't do anything where the speed difference between wired and
wireless matters.

Whenever I use a friend's or relative's wireless network, it always
stalls for a half-second, then recovers. A few minutes later it stalls
again. Seems to be a feature, and one I can do without, as I do, in
fact, with my wired network.

Don't imagine that if you have something worth stealing that the "extra"
security of wired will stop someone stealing it.

But it's obviously easier to gain access to a wireless network unless
suitable measures are taken.

MM