Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default temperature sensors

Tony Hwang wrote:
Jim Yanik wrote:
Sam wrote in -
september.org:

Hi,

I'm on a quest against my ugly thermostat that controls heat and A/C. Is
there a solution that includes an elegant temperature sensor that sends
the information to the thermostat that's hidden in a closet?

Many thanks in advance,

Sam

I suppose you could modify a digital thermostat;
unsolder the thermistor temp sensor and splice in extension
wiring,install
the thermostat in your closet and run the thermistor wiring to where you
want to sense the room temp. I don't think yo want to use more than
[SWAG]
10 feet of extension wire,or you'd pick up noise.
The thermistor is a tiny little bead with two wires coning out of
it,about
2mm in diameter.You could hide that almost anywhere,even put it in the
edge
of a picture frame. But it needs access to airflow.

Hi,
What if it is SMT based board? Being ATD circuit, if extra length of
wire is involved, temperature calibration may go off. Noise on a low
voltage analog circuit? What kinda noise please?

Hi,
If noise is a conern use shielded twisted pair wire and ground the
shield at one end only.