Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth ARWadsworth is offline

Default TOT about driving conditions the week

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
o.uk...
Neil wrote:
de-lurk

Oh come on guys

Whilst I realise you lot in the UK think you have more snow than I
have in this bit of Switzerland, it really isn't too hard to get
about-ever!

M&S (No, not the shop, just Mud + Snow tyres) will get an ordinary car
most places, add snow chains and everywhere is possible without recourse
to a Chelsea Tractor with the penalties of VED/MPG/CO2 and guilt...

they will, IF you can afford to get a set of winter wheels.

In continental Europe, such things are commonly available.

Here they are not.

This is not an annual event for us. In fact I've not seen it like this
since 1963.

And I may say that the 1963 conditions didn't stop me delivering
newspapers (I had a long round from Crawley up to near Gatwick on the A23)
*or* getting to school (which didn't close). Mind you, to be fair we had
something like 8" on New Year's Day which then took until March to melt.
And it was the wrong type of snow for snowballs as it didn't stick when
you squeezed it.

--
Tim

1963 and a few other years here.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8443400.stm

The government should make winter an annual event. That way the journos
would not have a fit when it turns cold.

Adam