Posted to misc.consumers.house
Bert Hyman Bert Hyman is offline

Default Temperature-compensating whole-house humidifiers?

Do they work (the temperature compensating part, that is)?

We're in that part of the winter when it's -20F at night and +15F during
the day, and I try to remember to adjust the manual setting on the
humidifier in the morning and evening, but sometimes forget.

Even tripple-paned, argon-filled, low-E windows will have condensation
in the morning if the humidifier is set too high over night, and there's
the additional danger of long-term damage from condensation inside the
walls.

On the other hand, I don't like drawing sparks from static electricity
if the humidity is set too low, not to mention the possible damage to
the woodwork and furniture from drying out.

Since we already have a whole-house humidifier, upgrading to a
temperature-compensated model wouldn't be a major engineering effort.

But, do they actually work?

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN