Posted to alt.home.repair
Existential Angst Existential Angst is offline

Default Major Score

"bud--" wrote in message
.. .
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Ashton Crusher wrote:

Note, tho, that 3 Sears HP = 1 Porter Cable HP. No foolin....
Sears used locked-rotor current (stalled motor current) to calc
their hp -- a total scam.
Cites, please.

How many REAL 3hp electric motors have you seen that run on
120Volts???

The only thing I question is the statement that the 3 hp Sears is the
same as the 1 hp Porter Cable. Yes, they do use the locked rotor method,
but they all do. Many companies offer a 3 hp router. Does anyhone think
you'd have a real 3 hp motor in your hands like that?
Look here for hte ratings of some
http://www.woodcraft.com/Category/1002158/Routers.aspx

When you get into table saws, the better brands use real numbers. Most
are 1.5 to 32 hp, but Sers is something like 4.5 on their little saws.

Notice the high end 3 hp saws
http://www.woodcraft.com/Category/1001210/Saws.aspx

Notice that Sears no longer gives HP ratings. This u sed to be 4.5 hp.
Now it is 13A.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...1802000P?mv=rr

I recently got a book "Woodworking with the Router", Bill Hylton. He says
"The industry standard is to report peak horsepower on a universal motor,
... and continuous horsepower on an induction motor, the type used in
stationary power tools." It makes some sense. Induction motors are more
often used for long periods at their rated HP. Universal motors (brush
type) often are used for very short periods. You can use the peak HP of a
drill for a short time. I believe he is talking about HP that is measured
as HP, not as derived from current.

Good points.
--
EA