Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Walker Steve Walker is offline

Default TOT about driving conditions the week

On Wed, 6 Jan 2010 10:16:02 +0000, chris French wrote:

In message , Dave
writes
JimK wrote:
On 5 Jan, 20:51, Dave wrote:
I have to travel from Preston Lancs. to Portsmouth to bring my wife back
home. I have until Friday night to get her back.

Due to the severe weather we are experiencing and the short time I have
to prepare, can anyone recommend a web site that will be up to date,
quite quickly, on road conditions and closures due to the weather
conditions please?

Dave
train?

When was the last time you booked a train ticket at the last moment? It
would cost her an arm and a leg to get home.

According to Trainline.com, an off peak single from Portsmouth to
Preston costs £91.50 (as long as she can avoid travelling at certain
times by the look of it - probably those times which hit peak evening
London departure restrictions)). Not cheap, no, but the fuel for a 500+
mile round trip alone is not insignificant.

To pick an easy figure to work out, At 45 mpg it would cost over £50 in
petrol - and many vehicles will do a lot less on that sort of trip, plus
of course tyre wear and other wear and tear on the car.

When you use your private vehicle for a business trip, the Inland Revenue
consider that allowing for wear and tear, maintenance, insurance, fuel,
depreciation, etc., you are not making a profit when during a year, you
claim 40p a mile for the first 10,000 miles and 25p a mile thereafter.

SteveW