Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jules[_2_] Jules[_2_] is offline

Default TOT about driving conditions the week

On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 10:46:02 +0100, Neil wrote:

Whilst I may be in Switzerland and need winter tyres to comply with the
law (and stay mobile) doesn't change the fact that a set of steel rims
and winter tyres can be had for about £180 for a Vectra and then all of
this hassle would go away - I put my wheels on in November long before
I travel to CH and only swap back when convenient after my return in May
as the tyres work in summer too (just wear a bit faster).

Yep, we usually leave the snow tyres on all year on the car - it doesn't
seem to impact grip during the warmer months, and they seem to wear at
such a slow rate that it probably works out cheaper than having two sets
of wheels (and far less hassle).

Chains are only £40 in French supermarkets (Swiss are dearer)

Not allowed chains where I am, or studded tyres, but a set of snow tyres
does the job well enough.

The only time the tyre or wheel combination fails is when the snow is so
deep the car airdam acts as a plough and stops progress [2]

Yep! Ours will run through 6" or 7" of snow OK; more than that and it's
very slow going. Thankfully they're good about keeping the roads clear
here, and one of our neighbours keeps coming over and ploughing the
driveway out.

cheers

Jules