Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Table Saws and Electric Garage Door Opener

On Wed, 6 Jan 2010 03:08:35 -0500, "Bill"
wrote:

Many of you know I have been planning my garage workshop. One thing that
has occurred to me recently is the possible conflict in the existence of a
table saw and my electric garage door opener. I have a 9' ceiling, the
motor for the door (Chamberlain 1/2 hp), is just about in the center of the
ceiling and I anticipate placing a Grizzly 3HP TS just about underneath.
The room is 20' by 20'. Of course, lots of other tools generate sawdust
too--and it seems that any of them are likely to create problems for the
garage door system if I'm not proactive. I never had one before; I hope I'm
worrying too much (but I doubt I am...).

I browsed through the garage door-opener manual and they didn't even mention
table saws--imagine that! : ). My intuition throws up a warning flag
though. At first I was thinking about a "dust explosion" and secondly I was
thinking about accumulated dust on the mechanical parts of the door system.
What's the skinny on this?

Thank you,
Bill

A good DC and air filter will protect your shop and lungs, reduce
chance of fire too. A blow gun will make quick work of removing the
dust. Don't think I ever read about a dust explosion in a wood shop,
although it could happen under the right conditions. Get a ABC fire
extingusher for your shop.