Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim W[_2_] Tim W[_2_] is offline

Default Wireless networking - any experts out there ?

The Natural Philosopher
wibbled on Wednesday 06 January 2010 12:02

Tim W wrote:
The Natural Philosopher
wibbled on Wednesday 06 January 2010 10:50

the problem with wireless is it cant match a duplex 100Mbps cat 5
connection between machines.

Not gone gig then? ;-

Not yet, no.

100 Mbps is fast enough, mostly.

It is true that whilst I have gig, most of my boxes can't shovel faster than
300-400Mbit/sec[1] and if it's not in cache in the server, then it's down
rather more.

[1] I had a server at work that I managed to get around 2.5Gbit/second
useful NFS transmission speed (including all protocol overheads) serving
from a very fast RAID and a stupid amount of cache. Cost a bit though...

--
Tim Watts

You know you need more insulation when the snow blanket on the roof makes
the house 3 degrees warmer...