Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default TOT about driving conditions the week

In article , Tim W
scribeth thus
Tim Streater
wibbled on Wednesday 06 January 2010 10:42

And I may say that the 1963 conditions didn't stop me delivering
newspapers (I had a long round from Crawley up to near Gatwick on the
A23) *or* getting to school (which didn't close). Mind you, to be fair
we had something like 8" on New Year's Day which then took until March
to melt. And it was the wrong type of snow for snowballs as it didn't
stick when you squeezed it.

I vaguely recall that my school was probably only closed for about 1 day
ever due to people not being able to get in. It did close a few other days
in bad weather, but that was due to the heating breaking down (ah, council
maintained boilers....)

Same here just the day .. there was snow around 10 odd feet deep but
everything worked)..

These days, it seems to be several days each year. Trouble is half the staff
in our local school live miles away and the half that live locally can't
open the school, presumably because they can't technically cover all the
required functions. It's such a little school that they could run the place
with half a dozen staff and merge down to 3 classes if they *really* had to
(less than a hundred pupils total, covering ages 5-12).

If the boiler broke down at our old school the answer was very simple,
run on the spot and keep your overcoat on!...
--
Tony Sayer