Posted to uk.d-i-y
Neil[_14_] Neil[_14_] is offline

Default TOT about driving conditions the week

Whilst I may be in Switzerland and need winter tyres to comply with the
law (and stay mobile) doesn't change the fact that a set of steel rims
and winter tyres can be had for about £180 for a Vectra and then all of
this hassle would go away - I put my wheels on in November long before
I travel to CH and only swap back when convenient after my return in May
as the tyres work in summer too (just wear a bit faster).[1]

4x steel rims = £40/50 on ebay from Alloy wheel using BarryBoys ;-)
4x 195/65/15 = £35/£55 each on etyres etc

Chains are only £40 in French supermarkets (Swiss are dearer)

The only time the tyre or wheel combination fails is when the snow is
so deep the car airdam acts as a plough and stops progress [2]

- I guess that means that in the UK today it wouldn't work...

Neil

[1] I store them in my garage with all the other 'might come in' stuff
[2] Reverse will get you a bit further...