Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy[_2_] Robatoy[_2_] is offline

Default Router bits for experimenting

On Jan 5, 5:44*pm, dpb wrote:
SBH wrote:
I would like to purchase a set of fairly decent but cheap router bits to
play around with and determine what I will really want to keep in my stock
on a more frequent basis. I do have some I play with from Rockler and
Woodcraft and some I will continue to use which are the better grades such
as Freud and Whiteside which I can pick up locally. Therefore, can someone
recommend a variety set of bits which won't bust the bank and won't bust at
first use?

Any number of places have "starter sets" of relative sizes and costs;
I'd think any would be adequate to simply play with unless you're
talking about playing w/ sugar maple or some such and expecting
perfection at the same time.

I've never bought anything except what I've wanted/needed; primarily
Amana and Whiteside so no direct hands on to go by. *But, the Griz
generally gets good marks on controlling quality at least reasonably at
moderate cost; might give that a look.

Others may have other ideas...

--

Amana is certainly all there.
Carbide.com has excellent pricing on bits.