Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

Default Wireless networking - any experts out there ?

On Tue, 5 Jan 2010 13:59:23 -0000, "Clive George"
wrote:

"Mark" wrote in message
.. .

Agreed. I wish ISPs would not supply wireless routers too. A lot of
people think they have to use wireless!

No, supplying wireless routers is definitely something ISPs should be doing.
Laptops are becoming much more popular, and wireless is ideal for those, and
if one buys a suitable card rather than the OP's ****, it gives you an
easier desktop install too if you can't be bothered laying cat5 about the
place. Also, wireless generally works rather better than the doomsayers here
are saying - most of the houses I visit have it and it works. Given most
people's traffic is likely to be internet-bound rather than within the
house, speed is much less of an issue too.

(all that said, I'll use wired where appropriate - fixed kit, where I've got
the wire in place).

I just don't want all the hassle of security in case some scrote tries
to steal my wireless signal. With wired there's no problem. Plus,
wired is way faster.

MM