Posted to alt.home.repair
Existential Angst Existential Angst is offline

Default Major Score

wrote in message
news
On Tue, 5 Jan 2010 07:27:42 -0500, "Existential Angst"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
On Tue, 5 Jan 2010 00:45:01 -0500, "Existential Angst"
wrote:

"mcp6453" wrote in message
news:c9idnQuBg7fjIN_WnZ2dnUVZ_qadnZ2d@giganews .com...
My dad passed away in 1998. He loved power tools. Today I was going
through the
attic and found an almost new Craftsman 315.276040 3 HP Electronic
Plunge
Router. It was purchased new in 1992 for $215.00 Now I'm going to have
go
through everything to see what's there.

Now I need to learn how to use it. Question: Is it possible to use a
plunge
router in a router table? I really like the 3HP size of the motor.

In principle yes, altho you might have to modify the base to attach to
the
table.
Note, tho, that 3 Sears HP = 1 Porter Cable HP. No foolin....
Sears used locked-rotor current (stalled motor current) to calc their
hp --
a total scam.

Cites, please.

OK, my bad:
3 Sears hp = 1.1 Porter Cable hp.

Sears motor rating policy is common knowledge.
You can verify this for yourself with an ampprobe -- lock the spindle with
vise grip, or wood in circular saw blade, or whatever, and measure the
current. Multiply by 120, then divide by 746. Wahlah -- their hp rating.

Now, take same circ saw, wail on a 4x4 until you "feel" that it is
counterproductive to push harder, measure the current, calc as above.
That
would be the "real" hp rating, proly 1/3 the above locked rotor current,
mebbe even 1/10.

Do the same for a Porter Cable.

iirc, the FTC or some equivalent org made Sears suposedly stop this
practice, a few years ago.

Sears is no cute li'l retail bunny. After they were caught in NYS in
their
auto repair ripoff scam, they were sued in mebbe a dozen other states,
coast
to coast. google sears auto repair lawsuit.
Unfortly, google dudn't reveal much on their motor rating scam, but who
would expect less of Sears?

In other words, you pulled this accusation directly out of your ass.

No, the other words would more correctly be:
You don't know how to use an ampprobe, and don't have a fukn clue as to
what I'm talking about.
--
EA