Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Electrical Question

The Daring Dufas wrote:
JIMMIE wrote:
On Jan 3, 6:56 pm, aemeijers wrote:
Phisherman wrote:
On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 21:36:44 -0800 (PST), thebigguy
wrote:
I have a small wiring job to complete and was wondering if it is
better to use the screw terminals or the holes on the back to wire
outlets and such?
It is often stated that it is better to use the screw terminals,
wrapping the wire 3/4 clockwise around the screw. I use electrical
pliers to form a "J" and a regular screw driver to tighten it down.
The backstabs are often used by electricians to reduce installation
time.
I also use my long needle-nose pliers to close up the J into a tight
loop before I snug up the screw. I don't install many outlets, so the
extra few seconds per outlet is cheap insurance. I HATE having the old
stiff wires walk off the screw as I am Z-folding everything back into
the box. Be careful on how much insulation you strip off- it sucks when
a hot lead shorts to the box. You should barely be able to see the bare
copper under the screw, if you did it right.

--
aem sends...

I get the sockets that are made to take a straight wire and the screw
tightens down on it. I this this type because the outlet is good
quality and the wires make good connections and are still easy to put
on. The only ones I could find like this are commercial grade. I think
these are best for replacing existing back-stab outlets Also several
years ago my wife took up the hobby of jewelery making. Mostly what
she did was stringing beads and bending and twisting wire. I tried her
wire bending pliers and discovered they are excellent for bending the
wire into a loop to place on the screw. Her's were a little on the
light weight side but I was able to find some more suitable.

Jimmie

Most wire strippers meant for the electrical trades have holes in outer
part of the blades meant for making a loop in solid wires. I use this
model made by Kline. Look at the holes in the outer of the blade. You
insert the wire and bend it into a J hook.

http://tinyurl.com/yfwlmbk

TDD

Yeah, I have Kleins, and use that hole. But once the J-hook is around
the screw, I still use the needle-nose to close the J to where the wild
end touches or almost touches the stem, before I snug up the screw.
Maximizes wire-screw contact area, and makes it close to impossible to
accidently pull the wire off the screw. Some of the outlets I was
replacing on this place, the wire was barely under the screw. Just
working on my own stuff, I can take the time to be fussy and
double-check everything.

--
aem sends...