Posted to alt.home.repair
Mikepier Mikepier is offline

Default oven temp sensor not working properly (I think)

On Jan 4, 4:00*pm, JJ wrote:
Ugh! *I was afraid it might be a little more complicated. *I don't
seem to have a wiring diagram. *The oven does use a glow-bar. *I wish
I could isolate the problem.

I'm hesitant to call a repairman - especially since the problem seems
intermittent and can take a half our or more to present itself (if it
does at all). *It may end up costing as much as the oven did
originally. *My wife called a repairman for our dryer a little while
back. *He replaced a $20 belt in about 5 minutes, that I could have
easily replaced myself. *Total charge was over $200.

If anyone else has tips on what I might do to figure this out, I'd
really appreciate it. *I'm pretty confident about replacing parts,
though I'd be likely to call in a professional if the repair looked
like it might get too intimate with the actual gas-flow.

Thanks.

-Jonathan

Unfortunately there's no way to tell if you have a defective glow bar
in this situation. They go for about $25 on e-bay. I've bought them
before.
If your oven has a broiler on top that uses a seperate glow bar, you
could swap it to the bottom oven if its the same kind.

Usually when glow bars go dead, its easy to troubleshoot, just ohm out
with a meter and if its open, it's no good. But this is different
since it's intermittent.