Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default isolation transformer needed

"bob"
( snip smartarse drivel )

** This above utter fool does not bother to read more than one post in a
thread before jerking himself off in public.

Examples he missed from ME in this thread:

" There are a host of other checks and inspections a service tech needs to
do
on and around the AC wiring, fusing devices and any AC power leads and
plugs attached to a unit. Any parts that are damaged, worn out or otherwise
seem unsafe must be repaired or replaced.

I go through a LOT of AC plugs, fuses and fuse holders in my work. "

And:

" My post does NOT say that it is the very first step.

It does say that with an unknown but possible PSU fault - connection to a
normal RCD protected AC outlet should be done FIRST - before using an
isolation tranny.

Obviously, visual inspection comes very first, including carefully checking
of the AC plug, lead and fuse if accessible. If the AC fuse is missing or
blown, then a major fault is likely.

In the latter case, MY procedure is to install a suitable new AC fuse and
gradually bring up the item using a variac - all the time monitoring the
current draw from the AC supply with meter specially built for that purpose.
If the AC current becomes unusually large ( or the RCD trips) as the AC
voltage rises - game over.

..... Phil