Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default isolation transformer needed

"GregS"
Meathead Plonker
"Phil Allison"

** Standard procedure for servicing any unit with an unknown fault is to
FIRST see what happens when plugged into a normal AC outlet - ie one
with
neutral and ground linked at the service box.

Funny that was never on any service literature or diagnostic procedure
documentation I ever read. Nor would I have ever made it my own
practice as a first step thinking back 30 through 30 years.

I have hooked things up with isolation and later found things like a motor
short.
Works fine with the transformer.

I didn't always first check the customers explanation and plug something
in right away before doing anything, but I do it now.

** Its important for a tech to see any symptoms the customer is complaining
about, first hand.

You gotta plug it in to do that.

..... Phil