Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David R.Birch David R.Birch is offline

Default Opinion of Ruger Mini 14 .223?

wrote:
On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 17:30:14 -0600, "David R.Birch"
wrote:

Wes wrote:

"Only accurate rifles are interesting."- Col. Townsend Whelen

This thinking led us to fight two World Wars with target rifles
instead of battle rifles and to use squads of riflemen supported by
machine guns instead of the more useful unit of machine guns supported
by riflemen.

David

Hmmm.. With the "target rifles" we won the two world wars we fought
with them. Then we fought the Korean "police action" with the same
target rifles. Then we switched to the toys and haven't won a war
since :-)

Regards,

J.B.

We fought WWI mostly with British designed M1917 battle rifles, the
M1903 wasn't available in sufficient quantity. By the time we arrived,
most of the dying had already happened.

The Garand was useful as a semiauto rifle, but it's accuracy wasn't
significantly better that the Enfields, Mausers and Arisakas. It
didn't win the war. America's industrial capacity did.

David