Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Square aluminum tubing 1/4" x 1/4" x 3 or 4 feet.

On Sun, 3 Jan 2010 20:30:03 -0800, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:

mm wrote:

There used to be a web retailer, Metal Express....

I didn't reply to your initial message because I didn't know you were
looking for bar stock, but you might bookmark this site for future
reference:

http://www.onlinemetals.com/

Jon (unaffiliated with onlinemetals.com)

Thank you. And for what I want, it appears to be cheaper.

McMasters was $4.78 for a 6 foot length.
Online is $2.36, plus it has
5 foot for 2.02 and
4 foot for 1.70.

Same alloy, 6061.

They might make it up on shipping, Neither company will tell me the
shipping charge unless I fill out my name and address, etc. This one
insists on a phone number, email address, and makes me pick a
password, which I have to enter twice.

And the cheapest shipping is $15.52. For that, I have to think about
this for a while if I can buy something else at the same time. And
is it worth 18 dollars to fix a 40 or 50 year old projection screen,
that I'm giving away. I have to pull the screen out of its holder and
see if it's in good condition. (Maybe I should have done that even if
the cost were one dollar, or even if no part needed, before offering
it to someone.)

When I changed to 4 feet, shipping was 10.52. **
And when I changed to shipping to a friend who runs a business, it
went down to 8.52.

(Some vendors charge more to ship to a home because sometimes no one
is there, or something like that. No one has ever stolen a package
left at my door, but it could happen.)

For a 6 foot length, it was 13.21 when shipped to a business address.

**Maybe it's hard to wrap a 6-foot rod.

Plus a friend said he might have it. He probably doesn't but he
wanted a day to check.

They give an explanation about shipping charges: "You only offer
shipment via UPS on your site. Why is this?
Our UPS representative has good tickets for Seattle Mariners games.
Do you have any idea how hard it is to get those things? (Not hard at
all lately. They Mariners are not very good. But they were at one
time.) Actually, we have some pretty good reasons -"

:-)

So they must be near Seattle. McMaster's has one of their warehouses
in New Jersey, and I'm about 3000 miles closer to that one, so I'll
check their shipping charge.