Posted to sci.electronics.repair
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

Default isolation transformer needed

In article , Andy wrote:
On Dec 2, 12:03 pm, (GregS) wrote:
In article , "Dave Plowman (News)"

wrote:

In article ,
GregS wrote:
In article , sbnjhfty
wrote:
I'm looking for an isolation transformer for repairing small (less
than 1000W) power supplies. I see loads of them on ebay and some are
medical grade and inexpensive. Are these usable for what I want?
Other than that, any tips on where to get a good deal on one? I
don't want to spend a load as this is hobby work only.

Just an 'isolation transformer" means NOTHING for what you want. Most
all isolation transformers sold have the secondary tied to ground. You
need a service isolation transformer. You can usually get inside and
remove a secondary "neutral" connection.

That's interesting. I've never seen any transformer with the secondary
tied to ground - unless as part of an installation. The word 'isolation'
means just that. Sure you're not thinking of an auto transformer?

I have been thinking about it. The MAIN purpose of an isolation transformer
is to make it non isolated by making a NEW neutral close to the device
being powered. The main purpose of an isolation transformer is noise control.

Now we have us tecks who all our lives have learned isolation and that stuff.
I taliked to the people at Tripplite and verified ALL their isolation
transformers ARE grounded. Read the paragraph, and yet it says above,

"Complete
line

Isolation"http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/model.cfm?txtSeriesID=325&EID=1
3...
Also look

throughhttp://www.tripplite.com/en/keyword-search.cfm?q=isolation%20transforme
The isolator you buy from MCM is very unlikely to have the secondary

grounded, but
I really can't verify that.

In reading PC Power Protection by Mark Waller, he
pointed out their is a NEC requirment for this grounding.
I have not found an exact description in the code. There is about 75