Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wireless networking - any experts out there ?

Adrian Brentnall wrote:
HI TNP

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I spent two- weeks trying to get a wireless enabled printer to talk to
a router 5 feet away. Gave up and ran a cable.

Tried 3 routers

Yes - file under 'life's too short' g

multipath in a typical place full of cables, foil backed plasterboard.
pipes and nails is ghastly.

I've got wifi here. It can ONLY penetrate from here to the bedroom
across the corridor. I cant get it in the kitchen blow that wedroom and
certainly NOT parked in a car outside the house.

Friend has a mac book and that DID get it in the kitchen.

OTOH we regularly fly model planes on the technology at ranges up to
about 3 km with 100mW sets. And in excess of a kilometer with 10mW sets.

(Yes, we know how far, because friends GPS sensing UAV went out of
control on a 10mW set at about 3/4 of a mile over the village.
Fortunately the failsafe GPS gradually brought it back to where he could
get control again..)

I was on telemetry duty..and reported that the telemetry, on about a
watt of illegal spectrum was reporting it slowly turning towards us, and
maintaining a reasonable height and airspeed..;-)

Havent had so much fun since we let off coal gas filled balloons with
fuses over west london and caused a UFO panic..

Thanks
Adrian