Posted to uk.d-i-y
Man at B&Q Man at B&Q is offline

Default Wireless networking - any experts out there ?

On Jan 4, 11:37*am, Mike Barnes wrote:
Adrian Brentnall :

The new 'net connection came complete with a wireless router -
so was playing with the idea of getting rid of the wired network
connections between the three (dell desktop) office pc's (winxp) and
the router and loacting the router at the master socket.

My first thought is: why would anyone do that? I can't think of a single
reason why I'd change from wired to wireless, unless I *really* needed
the portability.

Or perhaps the clue is in the "locating the router at the master
socket". That seems like a good idea, but if there wasn't any way of
doing it other than wireless, I wouldn't bother.

Have you looked at Homeplugs (ethernet over mains)? More expensive than
wireless, but IMO much better in every respect except portability.

--
Mike Barnes

After faffing with Belkin USB WiFi adapters on a number of machines
and never really getting them to work well, it was a breath of fresh
air to install Devolo (refused to buy Belkin ever again) homeplugs.
Plug them in and they just work, absolutely no setup required for
basic operation. A utility lets you enable encryption.

MBQ