Posted to rec.woodworking
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Brrr, It's cold in the woodshop!

GarageWoodworks wrote:
On Jan 3, 9:43 pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
GarageWoodworks wrote:
In spite of the the wicked cold temperatures today, I still managed
to get a little woodwerk'en done. Had my propane heater blasting.

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/Bookcase.php (scroll down).

Yesterday I went into the shop, got a couple of washers I needed and
left. I won't go back to do any work now until mid March.

Ed,

I bought a small propane heater a couple of years ago. Works ok. I
pre-heat the garage'er woodshop for fifteen minutes or so and it keeps
me moderately comfortable.
My garage is finished off and holds the heat ok. The weakest link is
the garage door which is cheaply made with Styrofoam panels. It's
tempting to upgrade the garage door to something more insulating.

I do have a 30,000 Btu heater and it gives me a 30 degree temperature rise.
15 + 30 = too cold to work. especially after a single digit night.

If I insulate the ceiling I'd get a lot more out of it, but every time I
look at what has to be done, I sort of lose interest. It would be a PITA.