Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim W[_2_] Tim W[_2_] is offline

Default Wireless networking - any experts out there ?

Bill
wibbled on Monday 04 January 2010 12:13

In message , Clive
George writes
I'd consider wired for fixed kit if cabling is easy, but otherwise am
very pleased with the radiation cooking my brain :-)

As someone else with a cooked brain, may I throw in another thought.

A wifi router is set to a channel and can work fine to one laptop. Add
more machines and they are all in contention on the same channel.

Yes.

It seems to me that if any users work with substantial amounts of data -
eg working with audio or video data, or if there are reasons to copy
much data across the wifi network, everything can knit itself into a
fine mess.

It shouldn't turn into a mess - it's designed to cope with that scenario.
But it will cause all the other connections to slow down.

Am I right? And does this also apply to the mains carrier systems?

Yes.

All systems are limited to a typical number of bits/sec. Once you overload
that, of course things suffer.

But you obviously have to try a bit harder to overload a fileserver serving
at gigabit speeds than one serving over a 30ish Mbit/s Wifi link.

I wire my core machines together with gig. My laptop runs fine on 802.11g
unless I have a lot of data to move, then I plug it in. My link to the
Internet is currently over WIFI too as I don't have the cables in place -
but that's 6Mbit/sec over a 30-ish Mbit/sec capable link so no problems...

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...